history of St. Patrick's B.N.S. Mallow
The Patrician Brothers were founded in 1818 by Bishop Daniel Delaney, Bishop of Leighin. The Patrician Brothers first came to Mallow in 1879 and established a primary school known as the Monastery N.S. .The introduction of the Intermediate Act prompted the establishment of a secondary school, the Patrician Academy, shortly after their arrival. From 1879 to 1954 the original building housed both the primary and the secondary school. With increasing numbers it was decided to build a new school.
Building of St. Pat’s began in September 1952 and finished in June 1954. The architect was Boyd-Barrett of Cork and the contractors were Messrs. Aherne of Waterford. The total cost of the building was £64,918 from the Department of Education and a local contribution of £10,856, provided half-and-half by the Parish and the Patrician Brothers.
On the 1st July 1954, the school was blessed by the Bishop of Cloyne, James Roche, whose encouragement led to the decision to build a new school. An official opening ceremony was performed by the Secretary of the Department, Mr. Murray. A special guest that day was Mr. Sean Moylan, T.D. for North Cork and until a few weeks previously, Minister for Education. As minister, Mr. Moylan had given every assistance in approving the school and in providing an Assembly hall. He had also encouraged the buying of the adjacent field as a school field. Teaching began in the school on Monday 18/10/1954. The enrolment was 581 pupils. There were 12 teachers.
The two fields, the Fair-field and the Horse-fair field, had been the property of Mallow Castle. The site of the school, given as a donation by Anna Jephson Norreys of Mallow Castle in memory of her only son Arthur Desmond who died in a rail accident in London in 1938, formed about one-quarter of the Horse-fair field. Later in the 1950's the remainder of the Horse-fair field was bought as a school field. It was paid for with Parish Funds. In 1959 the Castle authorities sold the Fair-field and the Market Place to Ballyclough Co-op society who established Mallow Mart and Springmount Dairy (Originally Springmount Diary had been a private enterprise at Springmount farm on the old Cork Road).
Historical Associations: The area of Mallow around the fair field is regarded as the most likely place for O'Connell's Monster Meeting held at Mallow on 11th June 1843. Canon Sheehan, writing of the Mallow town of his youth - he was born in 1852: "At that time in Mallow football was almost unknown, hurling and handball in winter, cricket in summer were the universal games. Every lane, every street had its cricket club; and high above all and dominating all was the MCC (Mallow Cricket Club), the magic letters that floated above the little shanty in the cricket field that lies east of the monastery (i.e. the Horse-fair field before Plunket Terrace was built). That club was the most formidable in the south of Ireland. It's members, Curtain, Foottes, Pat Kelly, Jas Mullane, Mick Roche and Bill O'Brien, the genial giant, whose mighty feat of sending a ball over the Court-House walls from the centre of the cricket grounds is remembered to this day".